U.S military commandos rescued an American being held in Nigeria after he had been kidnapped from his home in neighboring Niger days earlier, the Pentagon said Saturday.
Defense officials identified the American as Philipe Nathan Walton, 27, who had been taken Oct. 26 from his farm in Massalata, Niger, by attackers who demanded ransom. Massalata is near Niger’s border with Nigeria. Mr. Walton was living there with his wife and young daughter, officials said.
“This American citizen is safe and is now in the care of the U.S. Department of State,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said. “No U.S military personnel were injured during the operation.”
In a tweet, President Trump called the operation a “big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces.”